TOEFL Syllabus 2023 - Explore Section-Wise IELTS Exam Syllabus & Important Topics PDF
TOEFL iBT syllabus comprises of topics & other aspects of the exam that help applicants prepare for the reading, writing, listening, and speaking sections of the test. Mentioned below are the components of a TOEFL exam along with their syllabus:
TOEFL Reading Syllabus
This component of the TOEFL exam assesses comprehension and understanding of long texts. It also looks at how the candidate reacts to complex sentence patterns, difficult vocabulary, the author's intent and tone, different narration techniques, unfamiliar subjects, and a variety of other factors. Other than that, the questions of that particular component are based on academic passage extracts. The number of reading questions is 10 in each section.
TOEFL Reading Question Types
- Multiple-choice questions with four options and a single right answer.
- Multiple-choice sentence-insertion questions in which the test-taker is required to select the best phrase from four possibilities that fit the sentence.
- Questions with more than four possible answers and several correct answers. Every passage contains one of these questions.
TOEFL Speaking Syllabus
This component of a TOEFL exam aids examiners in measuring their English fluency. It is the most difficult component of the entire test since it needs quick thinking, idea analysis, and response. The speaking part serves to determine whether a person is comfortable speaking and understanding both class-level and real-life talks. Furthermore, if they can communicate ideas well, participate in dialogues, and respond. Therefore, in this component, the test-taker must talk from personal experience, express opinions, and offer arguments. That is done entirely online.
- Independent speaking tasks in which the speaker is requested to share their thoughts, opinions, and experiences. These are introductory questions that attempt to determine how a person introduces themselves, their attitude, their speaking style, and other factors.
- Integrated speaking tasks differ from the earlier tasks in which they combine two or more English skills, such as reading and listening. The tasks may come from a campus setting or an academic course.
TOEFL Listening Syllabus
The TOEFL listening portion is designed to provide a comprehensive assessment of spoken English. This section typically assists the examiner in judging how one will react in an academic setting when talks and lectures include different knowledge, complicated phrase structures, speaker goals, and so on. Furthermore, it assesses one's ability to form conclusions, find connections between diverse topics, interpret the speaker's attitude and mood, and so on. The number of lectures is 3-4.
- Traditional multiple-choice questions with four options and only one right answer.
- Multiple-choice questions with more than four answers and more than one right answer.
- Ordering questions that require test takers to arrange the supplied events in the order they appear in the recording.
- Matching questions in which test takers must match categories with related text, objects, and phrases.
TOEFL Writing Syllabus
This section of the TOEFL exam assesses your ability to compose correct, error-free, and coherent sentences. In an academic setting, you will regularly be needed to summarize, take notes, and write essays and papers on a certain topic. This section evaluates candidate's skills in idea construction, connecting details, contrasting viewpoints, argument formation, and conclusion.
- In this particular section (integrated writing task), participants must listen to a 20-minute recording and read a 230-300-word passage. Other than that, they must write about how they relate to each other based on their understanding of both. In this section, note-taking is allowed with no right or wrong answer. Moreover, the suggested word limit is 150-225 words, however, there is no penalty if you write more.
- This is an experience-based essay for independent writing where a problem or topic is presented, and the test-taker must explain the thoughts in at least 300 words. Evaluators attempt to assess language abilities, writing organization, the capacity for backing up a point with evidence, detail, sentence form, conclusion, and so on.
|Section||Number of Questions / Duration||Description|
|Candidates for the TOEFL Reading section would be expected to read various passages and answer 30-40 questions.|
|Candidates would be expected to answer questions about brief lectures or classroom discussions for the TOEFL Listening section.|
|Candidates on the TOEFL Speaking Part would be required to speak about a familiar topic and share material they had read and listened to.|
|Candidates would be asked to read a passage, listen to a recording, and type their responses for the TOEFL Writing Part.|
The TOEFL syllabus 2023 is divided into four sections: reading, listening, speaking, and writing. The Reading section consists of three to four passages, each with ten questions. The texts are taken from university textbooks. Other than that, there are 3-4 recorded lectures and 2-3 recorded conversations in the Listening section, and applicants must answer 10 questions about each of them.
In total, there are four questions in the Speaking portion regarding speaking about known and educational-based topics. After that, there are two exercises in the Writing section of the TOEFL exam. Therefore, the students have to offer information, points of view, thoughts, and experiences in the first task. On the other hand, the second test is a functional task that require reading, listening, and speaking abilities.
Date and Frequency
IELTS test dates are offered upto 4 times in a month making a total of 48 fixed dates in one calender year. The availability of IELTS dates in India may differ for Academic and General IELTS.
Center and Admit Card
The IELTS Exam is offered across more than 50 locations across India. There is no admit card provided for IELTS examination.
IELTS Exam results are released 10 calendar days after the test for the paper based exam and 5-7 calendar days for the computer based test. The Candidate will receive only ONE original Test Report form (TRF).
A candidate may request up to 5 additional TRFs to be sent to the receiving institutions (universities, professional bodies, etc) within 1 month of taking the IELTS test. TRFs sent by courier will be sent via DHL and students will be charged accordingly. If the receiving institution accepts electronic submission of scores then that can be arranged through the IDP IELTS office free of charge.
Free Mock Tests
Predicting the answer
Describe a place
Selecting from a list
Following a conversation
Identifying main ideas
Recognising text types
Analysing the passage
Dealing with unfamiliar words
Dealing with a range of views
Understanding the paragraph structure
Using paragraphs and main ideas
Process & Two-part Question
Bar Chart & Problem-Solution Question
Tabular Chart & Causes-Solution Question
Line Graph & Impact-Type of Question
Vertical Bar Graph & Discursive Essay
Pie Charts & Direct Question
Chart & Opinionated Question
Describe a school
Describe any event
Describe your favourite comedy show
Describe a quiet place
Describe a city
Describe something you would like to get replaced
Describe an occasion
- Check your predicted IELTS band
- Highlight key strengths and weaknesses
- Get personalised practice material
- Compete with potential IELTS test takers
- Instant Evaluation
- Takes less than 5 minutes
Other Study Abroad Exams
The skill and capability to communicate efficiently and effectively is the... Read More