CAEL Exam Pattern
CAEL Exam Pattern
|Test Features||CAEL – Online||CAEL – At a Test Centre|
|Length: Approximately 3.5 hours||Yes||Yes|
|Format: 5 integrated components||Yes||Yes|
|Testing Days: Friday – Sunday||Yes||Yes|
|Check-in Window||30 minutes after the start||45 minutes before the start|
|Location||Online at home||Test Centre|
Individual English proficiency scores for the Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking components, as well as an overall score, are assigned to test takers. CAEL scores are reported on a scale of 10 to 90, with descriptions of what performance implies. The total score is now computed as an equally weighted average of the four component scores, rounded to the closest ten-point interval.
The table below summarizes test taker proficiency at each full band level.
|CAEL Band Descriptor||CAEL Score|
|Expert: Demonstrates a high level of competence, accuracy, and effectiveness in academic/professional settings||80-90|
|Adept: Uses generally accurate language in most settings; some limitations in flexibility are evident||70|
|Advanced: Displays competence in academic or professional settings||60|
|High Intermediate: Exhibits some competence in academic or professional settings; communication may break down in places||50|
|Intermediate: Demonstrates some ability to comprehend and articulate complex ideas and arguments typical of academic or professional settings||40|
|High Beginner: Expresses basic ideas about familiar topics in routine settings||30|
|Low Beginner: Communicates with limited ability||10-20|
- Indoors (walled), well-lit, with a closed door, and clear of background noise and interruptions are required for testing.
- For the length of the exam, no third person may be present or enter the room. If this happens, your test will be terminated, and/or your results will be discarded away.
- Pens, paper, electrical devices, and other items must be kept away from your desk and surrounding area. During your test, no content that could potentially provide an unfair advantage, such as that placed on walls or in your local vicinity, must be present.
- You may have two tissues at your workstation, but they must be reviewed by the Proctor before the test begins.
- You can only take notes on your test screen using the ProProctor Scratchpad (paper is not allowed for note-taking).
- Only water in a clear container is permitted at your desk.
- Food is not permitted.
- For further details, please see the ProProctor User Guide.
Date and Frequency
IELTS test dates are offered upto 4 times in a month making a total of 48 fixed dates in one calender year. The availability of IELTS dates in India may differ for Academic and General IELTS.
Center and Admit Card
The IELTS Exam is offered across more than 50 locations across India. There is no admit card provided for IELTS examination.
IELTS Exam results are released 10 calendar days after the test for the paper based exam and 5-7 calendar days for the computer based test. The Candidate will receive only ONE original Test Report form (TRF).
A candidate may request up to 5 additional TRFs to be sent to the receiving institutions (universities, professional bodies, etc) within 1 month of taking the IELTS test. TRFs sent by courier will be sent via DHL and students will be charged accordingly. If the receiving institution accepts electronic submission of scores then that can be arranged through the IDP IELTS office free of charge.
Free Mock Tests
Predicting the answer
Describe a place
Selecting from a list
Following a conversation
Identifying main ideas
Recognising text types
Analysing the passage
Dealing with unfamiliar words
Dealing with a range of views
Understanding the paragraph structure
Using paragraphs and main ideas
Process & Two-part Question
Bar Chart & Problem-Solution Question
Tabular Chart & Causes-Solution Question
Line Graph & Impact-Type of Question
Vertical Bar Graph & Discursive Essay
Pie Charts & Direct Question
Chart & Opinionated Question
Describe a school
Describe any event
Describe your favourite comedy show
Describe a quiet place
Describe a city
Describe something you would like to get replaced
Describe an occasion
- Check your predicted IELTS band
- Highlight key strengths and weaknesses
- Get personalised practice material
- Compete with potential IELTS test takers
- Instant Evaluation
- Takes less than 5 minutes
Other Study Abroad Exams
The skill and capability to communicate efficiently and effectively is the... Read More