• International Students
7 Tips to Improve Your Career Development
- 1466 Reads
- 3 min Read
Ever felt like struggling to progress in your career? Read the blog to learn about career development, it’s important and steps to develop career related skills.
Table of Contents
7 Tips to Improve Your Career Development
A career is a significant segment of a human's life. It becomes our identity and inevitably takes the front seat in the long run.
Why Choose a Potential Career Path?
In today's era, students are provided with an array of career opportunities. However, it can be an overwhelming experience with the current vibes of pressure and stress. It is highly recommended to choose a career path that can kick-start a dazzling future rather than getting into a monotonous job profile.
How to Make the Right Career Choice?
It is evidently important to choose the right career at the right time. One wrong choice can hamper and damage your prospects and arraign your prosperity.
Right career choice focuses on various factors that are webbed together.
Follow Your Passion
Choosing a career is a crucial task, but doing what you love makes this choice easy. Following your passion and converting it into a career can be a phenomenal achievement. A potentially happy career is a better choice than knocking on new doors each day.
Ask these 4 questions before you choose a career-
1. Childhood Dreams: Reflect and rethink the career you desired to pursue as a child. It surely is the best activity to navigate the career path.
2. Knock the Right Door: The closest family members are the true critics. They evidently provide you with a different perspective on your strengths.
3. Who Do I Admire? Think about your ideal person and question yourself. Try to draw similarities between their and your abilities. It will help you uncover your true desire.
4. Weakness: Understanding yourself is an assiduous task. Identify your weakness and draw a clear picture of what you desire.
Do you know, a maximum of Indian students are just aware of 7 career options, even though there are nearly 250 career options that can be pursued in India?
This graph shows the alarming ignorance among Indian students about the career options available to them.
Career Counsellors - Need of the Hour
Career counseling is a systematic process that provides sustained aid and identifies the right professional path. Being professionals with varied experience gained through various sessions, they advise and even evaluate challenging workplace decisions.
Let's Understand the Process of Career Counselling:
1. Awareness: Gather information about yourself by introspecting on:
2. Explore: The next step includes research to gather relevant information about the work, skills required, eligibility, and various opportunities.
3. Decision-Making: Set a plan of action for the career option that suits you best. The step-by-step career action plan serves as a guide to achieving the ultimate career goals.
4. Preparation: Working on the requirements of the chosen career opportunity is vital. Always follow the instructions and focus on all the important factors to achieve the desired.
5. Implementation: Strategizing the above-mentioned steps and implementing the plan of action is the final goal. A sum up of the above-mentioned steps is the road map for the implementation.
A competitive person always looks out for new opportunities while improving the existing ones to stay ahead on their competitors. While career development is a lifelong process, one can take the help of career counselors to help identify the grey areas.
Career counseling is process that helps people understand themselves and the world to make educational, career and life decisions. There are number of factors that are kept in mind during career couselling, such as interests, abilities, values, personalities, etc., to help candidates focus on their strengths and weaknesses and learn new skills.How does Career Development Work?
Career Development is a lifelong process that starts from a young age. It is a crucial part of human development teaching one different ways of making a living.
Does Career Development End After Choosing an Occupation?
Career Development is a lifelong process. Attaining knowledge, training, and taking professional advice, is not restrained to a job or age factor.
Key Takeaways for Career Development
Here are top five takeaways for career development:
• Focus on the growth of your career
• Make sure to research about the trending skills
• Seek advice from mentor
• Set smart and achievable career goals
• Explore valuable jobs and skills
Which Factors Influence Career Development?
Multiple factors can influence a person's career development. The factors discussed below should be considered while developing a career.
1. Personal Characteristics: Personal traits play a significant role in career development. Self-assessment is a considerable factor to analyse the type of work environment in which a person can succeed.
2. Socio-Economic Factors: Financial conditions can act as a barrier to career development. Always find ways to overcome such hurdles. Fortunately, in today's era, there are certainly many ways to find solutions to safeguard your goal.
3. Physical and Mental Abilities: We all are suited for a particular job. However, every occupation cannot be justified by us. It becomes important to find an occupation that makes the best of your abilities.
4. The Unknown Factors: Family is surely a priority and sometimes due to certain issues a person may not be able to focus. Always keep a Plan B ready to reinforce your career.
Are You Aware Of the 5 P's of Career Development?
In today's fast-paced and ever-changing work environment, it is required to develop and secure a satisfying career. There are several specific steps that can place you in the driver’s seat for managing your own career success.
1. Possibility: Always conduct potential research to understand the valuable career routes. It becomes crucial to analyse the possible career opportunities that can be offered to you by choosing a particular career path.
2. Presence: Appropriate communication to establish your professional identity is important. It should be done consistently through various platforms. Always highlight your skills and passion that define your professional aspect and can widen your horizon of learning and finding new opportunities.
3. People: Possessing a strong professional network is another important aspect of career development. Knitting a network and keeping in touch with people in similar career paths is always a boon.
4. Perspective: Maintaining a perspective during a job search is essential. In order to promote self-care and prevent and preventing negativity from spilling over, in your job search, it is important to focus on your requirement.
5. Perseverance: Always be ready to face challenges. For effective career development, always be ready with a plan t overcome such challenges.
Which Tips Should Be Followed To Improve Career Development?
Career development is the lifelong process of expanding your career. It involves the following:
- Determining your passions and skills
- Setting career goals
- Progressing within one company for several years
- Switching careers as your interests and skills change
Consider these 7 tips when planning your career development:
1. Explore Your Interests: Reflect and pursue a career of your interest. There is no age to explore your interests. A career of your interest will bring success and prosperity to your professional life.
2. Choose Your Ideal Career: Determining a target professional industry is the foundation of effective career development. Focus on your goals to advance your career.
3. Set Goals: It is always useful to set smart goals. Your goals should be:
4. Learn New Skills: Acquire new and relevant skills that can help you progress toward your career. The following mentioned skills benefit different job positions:
5. A comprehensive Network: Always expand your network to achieve your set goals.
-Join professional associations
-Meet successful people in your field
-Attend seminars and conferences that relate to your field.
6. Find a Mentor: Mentors provide professional advice and guidance. They provide a trusted and experienced perspective that defines your career goals.
7. Enroll in Career Development Programs: Always enroll in programs that can boost your career. Focus on programs that focus on:
-Level of skills
-Focus on in-person training
Career Development with Canam
Canam has been religiously providing counseling to bridge the gap between choosing a career and career development. There are ample factors that are analyzed by the counselors at Canam, before setting a plan of action.
Canam focuses on
-Milestones to Meet the Long-Term Goal
-Setting up a Framework
-Provision of Relevant Resources
Connect with the expert study abroad counselors at Canam today and get free profile assessment to find the right programs that best match your interest and potential.
Get great articles direct to your inbox
The latest news, articles, and resources, sent straight to your inbox every month.
Popular Universities to Study Abroad
World class education waiting for you.
EDUCO - Seattle Pacific University
Washington, USA • 118 Programmes
Tuition Fee : USD 35000-36000 / year
Ashton College - Abbotsford Campus
British Columbia, Canada • 1 Programmes
Tuition Fee : CAD 25000-25500 / year
Manukau Institute of Technology - Otara Campus
Auckland, New Zealand • 9 Programmes
Tuition Fee : NZD 20300-24700 / year
EDUCO - Santa Monica College
California, USA • 62 Programmes
Tuition Fee : USD 9048-9264 / year
EDUCO - Laney College
California, USA • 20 Programmes
Tuition Fee : USD 9750-10800 / year
Roger Williams University - Bristol Campus
Tennessee, USA • 68 Programmes
Tuition Fee : USD 38000-44000 / year
Education Centre of Australia (ECA) Group - ECA College of Health Sciences - Brisbane Campus
Queensland, Australia • 2 Programmes
Tuition Fee : AUD 0-0 / year
University of Manitoba - Fort Garry Campus
Manitoba, Canada • 123 Programmes
Tuition Fee : CAD 14000-24000 / year
Latest at CANAM
Events, webinar, college / university visits and more.
The International Education Fair
Study in Canada, UK, USA, Australia, NewZealand, Dubai, Germany
18th Jan to 25th Jan • 10:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Education Canada Application Days -23
Study in Canada • Application Days
Kolkata • 01:00PM
University Visit - Southern Cross Education Institute Higher Education (SCHE)
Study in Australia • University Visit
kochi2 • 12:00PM
Popular English Language Proficiency Exams
Blogs and Articles
Curated content to keep you updated on the latest education trends, news and more.
Updated on • Nov 30,2023 05:39 PM IST • IELTS
Updated on • Nov 29,2023 12:22 PM IST • IELTS
Updated on • Nov 28,2023 01:36 PM IST • IELTS
Updated on • Nov 28,2023 01:08 PM IST • IELTS
Updated on • Nov 22,2023 11:53 AM IST • Study in Canada
Updated on • Nov 20,2023 12:30 PM IST • USA
Updated on • Nov 16,2023 04:43 PM IST • IELTS
Updated on • Nov 16,2023 12:27 PM IST • New Zealand
Updated on • Nov 14,2023 12:43 PM IST • UK
Updated on • Nov 14,2023 12:39 PM IST • Study Abroad
Updated on • Nov 14,2023 12:33 PM IST • Study in Canada
Updated on • Nov 14,2023 12:31 PM IST • Study in Canada
Updated on • Nov 07,2023 12:37 PM IST • study in the UK
Updated on • Nov 07,2023 11:43 AM IST • IELTS
Updated on • Nov 07,2023 11:23 AM IST • Study Abroad
Updated on • Nov 06,2023 05:58 PM IST • Study in Canada
Updated on • Nov 06,2023 11:57 AM IST • Australia
Updated on • Nov 06,2023 11:31 AM IST • Study in Canada
Updated on • Nov 04,2023 11:37 AM IST • IELTS
Updated on • Nov 03,2023 04:53 PM IST • Study in Canada
Related Blogs and Articles
A little effort to provide an authentic and reliable content for keen readers!!
Updated on • 15-09-2023 • International Students
Updated on • 12-09-2023 • International Students
Updated on • 13-07-2023 • International Students