Engineering in USA: Specialization, Best Universities, Eligibility, Scholarship, Jobs
- 387 Reads
- 3 min Read
Studying engineering in the USA is undoubtedly a dream for most International students. Visit the blog to learn more about earning an engineering degree overseas, such as available specializations, well-known universities, scholarships, employment chances, and more.
Table of Contents
Pursuing engineering in the USA has been a top choice for students worldwide thanks to the country's top-ranked universities, a broad selection of specializations, strong industry contacts, and innovative culture. Students enrolled in an engineering program in the USA can access an outstanding education and unmatched opportunities. The blog covers details, imperative for aspiring students to know about while applying for education in the USA.
Why Study Engineering in the USA?
Studying engineering in the USA is a dream for thousands of students worldwide. The country is rapidly expanding, providing a plethora of opportunities for International students. A few of the most popular reasons to study in the USA are-
- Prestigious Universities- Several of the most coveted and renowned engineering universities and colleges are in the United States. These institutions are known for their impeccable course structure, experienced faculty, modern infrastructure, and facilities.
- Job Prospects- Being a demanding profession, engineers can find employment opportunities in various sectors in the USA.
- Financial Assistance and Scholarships- To reduce costs and make education more accessible, several American universities provide research assistantships, need-based aid, and merit-based scholarships.
- Global Exposure- The USA is a diverse country. It allows students to interact, meet people from varied backgrounds and cultures, and develop a unique perspective.
- Startups and Entrepreneurship- The United States has a vibrant entrepreneurial culture, and engineering graduates frequently find a welcoming atmosphere for starting their businesses or joining cutting-edge initiatives.
Engineering Specializations in the USA
Engineering is a vast and dynamic field with many different specializations. With technological advancement, the industry continues to grow and evolve, providing a spectrum of opportunities and disciplines. In the older days, engineering meant only three specializations- Mechanical, Civil and Chemical, but nowadays, it is so much more than that. Depending on one's interests, strengths and capabilities, below mentioned are some of the most sought-after specializations to choose from in the USA-
- Computer Science Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Agricultural Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Software Engineering
Universities offering Engineering in the USA
Many prominent universities in the United States have robust engineering programs. Here is a list of some of the institutions for engineering, along with a few of the specific engineering programs they offer-
|Arizona State University||• Engineering Management |
• Big Data Systems
• Manufacturing Engineering
|Colorado State University||• Biomedical Engineering |
• Mechanical Engineering
• Chemical Engineering
|California State University||• Construction Engineering|
• Computer Technology
• Engineering Technology
|Western New England University||• Biomedical|
• Electrical and Computer
• Industrial and Engineering Management
|Florida Polytechnic University||• Computer Engineering|
• Mechanical Engineering
• Electrical Engineering
|University of South Carolina||• Civil and Environmental Engineering|
• Integrated Information Technology
• Mechanical Engineering
|Northern Arizona University||• Civil and Environmental Engineering|
• Construction Management
• Workforce Development
|South Dakota State University||• Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering|
• Construction and Operations Management
• Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
|Kent State University||• Mechatronics Engineering|
• Aerospace Engineering
• Engineering Technology
|New York Institute of Technology||• Energy Management|
• Mechanical Engineering
• Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology
Eligibility Requirements for Admission to an Engineering Program in the USA
Universities have different requirements for admission to their engineering programs. Each university may have unique admission standards. Therefore, it is important to connect with the expert study abroad consultants to get the most updated information. While there may be slight differences, the following are some of the most critical aspects every student must keep in mind:
- High School Mark-sheet: Each student must possess a certificate indicating completion of higher secondary education. This entails finishing 12 years of elementary and secondary school, comparable to a USA diploma. The candidate should come from a science background to pursue an engineering program.
- Standardized Tests: As part of the admission process, several colleges need scores on standardized tests. The most popular tests are SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) and ACT (American College Testing) exams. Each institute has its cut-offs for the scores.
- English Proficiency: Non-native English speakers are required to either take TOEFL or IELTS
test to demonstrate their proficiency in the English language.
- Documents: Besides the application form, universities may also ask candidates to submit documents such as the Statement of Purpose, Letter of Recommendation, and Essays.
- Under-Graduation Transcripts: To gauge an individual's academic performance, universities require official undergraduate transcripts with GPAs.
- Standardized Tests: As part of the application process, students may be asked to provide their GRE test results, a standardized test accepted by most universities abroad.
- English Competency: Applicants with non-English backgrounds must submit test results of IELTS, PTE OR TOEFL to prove their English proficiency.
- Documents: Along with other documents, a detailed Resume or CV, a Statement of Purpose and a Letter of Recommendation are also needed by most academic Institutions.
- Academic Excellence: Applicants must provide transcripts from all previous academic levels as the first step of the application process.
- English Proficiency: Individuals from non-native English-speaking backgrounds must prove their competence in the language by submitting test scores of IELTS, PTE or TOEFL.
- Research Experience: Research is a top priority for PhD programs; prior research experience is highly regarded. Previous work experience, conference presentations, and research projects add to the application immensely.
- Documents: Most academic institutions additionally want a Resume or CV, a Statement of Purpose, and a Letter of Recommendation in addition to other materials.
Monetary Aid and Scholarships for Engineering in the USA
Due to its top-notch education system and high living level, the USA is a magnet for overseas students. Numerous scholarships are available in the USA for engineering courses at all levels to encourage an influx of overseas students. Here are a few of the most well-known:
|Full-bright Foreign Student Program||International students can get scholarships under the Fulbright Program to pursue graduate-level studies in the United States, including engineering. The tuition, fees, living expenses, and travel costs are all paid for by this incredibly distinguished program.|
|Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program||Mid-career workers can take advantage of chances for professional growth through the Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program, a non-degree fellowship program. It pays for program-related costs like tuition, living expenses, and health insurance.|
|AAUW International Fellowship||This scholarship is for women studying in the United States. The fellowships aid females in a variety of professions, including engineering.|
|The American Nuclear Society Scholarship Program||Sponsored by the American Nuclear Society, this award is available to high school seniors who plan to work in nuclear science and technology and are currently enrolled full-time in college courses in the sciences, technologies, engineering, or mathematics.|
|Institution Specific Scholarships||Numerous American universities provide scholarships explicitly designed for international students pursuing engineering degrees. The requirements for these scholarships, the amount of the grant, and the application method are all subject to change. It is advised to look at the scholarship options on the school's official websites that an individual is considering attending.|
|Stand Alone Foundations||Many professional organizations and foundations in the engineering sector provide scholarships to help students who want to study engineering.|
Career Prospects after Engineering in USA
A USA engineering degree provides a wide range of employment possibilities. Many industries, including technology, manufacturing, healthcare, energy, and others, have a significant demand for engineers. Depending on one’s specialization, the following are a few of the most prominent job roles for Engineers in the USA:
|Civil Engineering||Project Manager, Structural Engineer, Project Construction Manager and Transportation Engineer|
|Marine Engineering||Naval Architects, Marine Technologist, Port Engineer, Sales and Project Management|
|Aerospace Engineering||Planning Engineers, Aerospace Engineers, Design Engineers and Quality Engineers|
|Mechanical Engineering||Automobile Engineer, Industrial Engineer and Mechanical Maintenance Engineer|
|Biomedical Engineering||Pharmaceutical Engineer, Biomaterials Developer, Biomedical Researcher and Manufacturing Engineer|
|Agriculture Engineering||Agriculture Specialist, Product Engineer, Research Associate and Geospatial Engineer|
Indian students studying engineering in the USA indeed benefit from the opportunity to experience top-notch instruction, a diverse atmosphere, and prospective employment prospects after graduation. But it can be challenging to apply to popular programs at American institutions. Therefore, students should always confer with knowledgeable study abroad counsellors and consultants.
Get great articles direct to your inbox
The latest news, articles, and resources, sent straight to your inbox every month.
Popular Universities to Study Abroad
World class education waiting for you.
EDUCO - South Puget Sound Community College
Washington, USA • 28 Programmes
Tuition Fee : USD 11000-12000 / year
John Casablancas Institute
British Columbia, Canada • 3 Programmes
Tuition Fee : CAD 14000-21000 / year
EDUCO - South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
South Dakota, USA • 21 Programmes
Tuition Fee : USD 17000-18000 / year
Universal College of Learning (UCOL) - Whanganui Campus
Whanganui, New Zealand • 17 Programmes
Tuition Fee : NZD 20500-22500 / year
Wilfrid Laurier International College
Ontario, Canada • 40 Programmes
Tuition Fee : CAD 29000-29500 / year
New Jersey, USA • 111 Programmes
Tuition Fee : USD 16000-23400 / year
College of The Rockies - Cranbrook Campus
British Columbia, Canada • 28 Programmes
Tuition Fee : CAD 4000-17500 / year
Northern College - Kirkland Lake Campus
Ontario, Canada • 18 Programmes
Tuition Fee : CAD 13000-26500 / year
Latest at CANAM