Study in New Zealand
Why Study in New Zealand?
A world-class education system
New Zealand universities are all ranked among the top 3 per cent in the world by QS World University Rankings 2018.
New Zealand universities are ranked in the top-100 universities worldwide in 39 of 46 subjects; ensuring students receive a world-class education across many disciplines.
New Zealand’s education system is ranked #1 in the world in educating students for the future, as assessed by the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Educating for the Future Index 2018. New Zealand scored top marks in:
- An education system that is fit for purpose in preparing students for a global career, with teaching and curriculum that is industry-connected,
- Advanced technology, with 98 per cent of New Zealand education institutions connected to fast and uncapped broadband connections, and
- A curriculum framework that encourages students to experiment and to deliver new, creative solutions to problems that can involve a synthesis of knowledge across disciplines.
As well as learning essential academic skills, students are encouraged and supported to develop as individuals, capable of thinking independently, creatively and analytically – to ’Think New’.
New Zealand’s qualifications are internationally recognised, when students graduate their qualifications will take them anywhere they want to go in the world.
Global career opportunities
In 2018 the New Zealand Government introduced a three-year open post-study work visa for all international students studying Bachelor’s Degrees, Master’s Degrees and PhD qualifications, one of the most generous post-study work policies in the world.
Students can also work up to 20 hours per week during term time or 40 hours per work during holidays when studying.
New Zealand institutions offer ’work-ready’ programmes and internships, ensuring that students can connect with New Zealand and multinational companies.
Welcoming and safe
- New Zealand has been ranked the safest English-speaking country in the world by the Global Peace Index for eleven years in a row.
- New Zealand has become the first country in the world to legally require education providers to uphold standards of care and support for international students, when introducing the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students in 2002.
- There are more than 125,000 international students studying in New Zealand from over 180 countries, meaning that students are supported in having a truly global education.
- New Zealand is ranked the 8th happiest country in the world by the World Happiness Report 2018. Work-life balance is a priority, and with a beautiful environment students can be confident in growing themselves inside and outside the classroom.
TO FIND OUT MORE:
- To find out more about studying in New Zealand, or to contact an Education New Zealand Recognised Education Agent, visit www.studyinnewzealand.govt.nz
OPPORTUNITIES FOR INDIAN STUDENTS
Indian students are making the most of a New Zealand education, the number of Indian students enrolled in New Zealand Universities grew by 19 per cent in 2017. New Zealand offers:
- New Zealand Excellence Awards (NZEA)
- The NZEA is a prestigious scholarships initiative awards scheme exclusively for Indian students to study at New Zealand’s world-class universities. The awards are co-sponsored by the New Zealand Government, and offer:
- 34 scholarships for study at any one of New Zealand’s universities, with more than INR 1 crore (NZ$215,000) available, and
- 25 Postgraduate awards and 9 undergraduate awards providing a contribution towards course fees.
- The awards are for a wide range of subjects at undergraduate and postgraduate level, including Science, Technology, Mathematics, Engineering, Business, Environmental Sciences, Tourism Management, Creative Arts, Construction, Information Technology, Cyber Security, Entrepreneurship, Architecture, and Development Studies.
- Applications must be accompanied by an unconditional offer of place to study at a New Zealand University in an eligible programme of study.
Scholarship applications are due by 28 October 2018. For further information visit www.studyinnewzealand.govt.nz/new-zealand-excellence-awards
New Zealand Master’s Qualifications
New Zealand offers world-leading taught Master’s Qualifications that are ideally suited for Indian students wanting to turbocharge their career.
New Zealand Master’s Qualifications offer:
- An 18 month full-time study programme, with inbuilt flexibility to undertake accelerated or extended options to suit a student’s career trajectory, and
- World-class degrees, with all New Zealand’s universities ranked in the top 3% globally by QS World University Rankings.
- New Zealand Master’s qualifications future-proof students’ career, with:
- A 3-year open post-study work visa upon graduation, and work rights during study and semester breaks, so that students can start their career right away,
- On campus career preparation and readiness centres across New Zealand Universities, with supporting job placement functions, and
- A wide range of local and international internship and volunteering options available.
New Zealand PhD package for Indian international students
- The New Zealand Government offers reduced course fees for all international PhD students, with most PhD programme fees being between 1-2 Lakh (NZ$5,000-10,000).
- Indian and international PhD students are also eligible for:
- Domestic status for children studying in New Zealand’s free public school system, and
- Full-time work rights for the PhD student, and open work rights for the student’s partner.